Friday, November 10, 2006

Slither

I was just blessed with NetFlix sending me Slither, and while it wasn’t all that I hoped for, it was a fun time. I must admit I am a huge Joss Whedon fan, much to Pandabob’s chagrin, so when I saw Nathan Fillion was in this I had to rent it. And of course, it involved slimy space alien slugs infecting a town, so, bonus!

It was funny, it was gross, and it wasn’t all that groundbreaking. Night of the Creeps was funnier and with a very similar plot, with its extremely dorky heroes and 80’s pastel flair. Nathan Fillion is the town sheriff, who holds a flame for Starla (Elizabeth Banks), who is married to the richest man in town. Michael Rooker is that man, Grant Grant, who, of course, ends up finding a weird piece of space trash (The Blob anyone?) and after awhile ends up becoming a big slimy thing himself. There’s a teenage girl that survives an attack and becomes the Chorus for the movie, explaining everything as you go along.

It’s pretty standard fare, with both good and bad. It was funny, and there were bits of dialog that were worthwhile. The CGI was disappointing, but Grant Grant the slimy man and his transformation into Queen Slug were really well done. It seems like everyone had a good time filming the movie, so there is a sense of joviality underneath.

Slither overall is just a bit too much like Night of the Creeps (which was 80’s cheese ball perfection to me) and just not quite as funny B-Movie as Tremors or horror comedy as Shaun of the Dead. Of course, that doesn’t mean I won’t end up buying it.

Rating: 4 Purrs

No comments: