Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Old Time Radio Podcasts

I have become addicted to old radio mysteries and horror stories, and pod casts have brought all of that joy back to me. I became fascinated with them when I first saw George Lucas and Steve Spielberg’s movie, Radioland Murders. Now when I hear these podcasts, I imagine all of the sound effects guys, the writers trying to finish up the scripts, and the actors performing in front of those tall retro microphones. I subscribe to several, but the following ones are my favorites.

Radio Detective Story Hour – The host for this podcast is just wonderful. Each episode introduces a detective series, and the host gives a wonderfully researched background of the show. He sometimes includes guest speakers and some previously taped interviews. I like this one because you get a deeper understanding of the history of the series he presents.

Tales of Horror – This series podcasts old radio shows like The Weird Circle, The Mysterious Traveler, and other shorts similar to the old Night Gallery and Twilight Zones of Rod Serling.

Suspense! – This podcast is replaying the old radio show, Suspense! It’s another one if those 30 minute horror anthologies, and the stories are pretty good.

Old Time Radio – This is a new group of podcasts that plays mysteries, detectives, thriller, and sci-fi. I have five of them in my podcast list, and each of them have a great mix of stories. I wish there was a little bit less intro to each episode, but that’s because eit is a bit commercial heavy at the front.

There are several podcasts out there full of old radio shows, but these casts post regularly and the quality of the shows is good. Usually you can count on the radio shows having decent sound, and of course, the commercials and political ads are a great way to look back into the past. It’s funny to hear how much women characters have changed over the years. Even when the women are main characters, such as Candy Matson, she still works to keep a few minks in her wardrobe, and of course, on the side, smash evildoers and help people.

Rating: 5 Purrs for a history lesson that’s entertaining, especially down on the waterfront of San Francisco, wearing a slick hat and hunting the evildoer

No comments: