Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Saw III

I saw the first Saw movie in the theater the same day I saw The Grudge. I liked The Grudge better, but I have still picked up the Saw sequels to watch because that puppet creeps me the hell out. The idea of Jigsaw keeps me coming back, even though the reality of Jigsaw never quite lives up to my ideal.

Saw III has Jigsaw being very ill, completely reliant on Amanda to carry out his evil plans. Problem is, it looks like Amanda is not quite right in the head, and she is completely devoted to Jigsaw. Their next victim is Lynn, a doctor who is required to keep Jigsaw alive, at least until their other victim, Jeff, has completed his game. Jeff has lost a son in a car accident, and Jigsaw has set up a special game for him. Will he make it through the game and learn the lesson Jigsaw has set up for him. Well, if you have seen any of the Saw movies, you should have a good idea of how this will go.

The Jigsaw traps are really, really icky this time around. I cringed several times during the presentation of the different levels of tests. There was plenty of gore, and really you can’t help but like a serial killer who makes people face their issues and come out the other end happier. But, just as usual, not everyone wants to learn a lesson, especially by a psycho that has you strung up on some sort of machine that will rip your ribs off.

As for characters, I like the more in depth character of Amanda. I have always like Shawnee Smith, ever since her role in The Blob. Jigsaw is a good character, as usual. I was disappointed to have Dina Meyer cut out so soon; I really think she should get more work. Angus McFadyen plays the grieving father well, with just the right amount of grief, anger, and need for vengeance.

I’d have to say Saw III was a pretty good movie, especially for a sequel. I even liked it a little more than the original, if just for the characters being a bit more sympathetic this time around. I’d say catch it if you like the franchise, and if you are a horror fan, you should at least see the original.

Rating: 3 ½ Purrs, especially for that last sequence when you find out how all the bits fit together, and the last test for Jeff with the screws. Ouch.

No comments: