Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ronin by Frank Miller with Lynn Varley

I like Frank Miller, but I have mixed feelings about Ronin. I think maybe I thought I was getting into something else when I picked it up. I thought it was going to be parallel story lines, one with Ronin of 13th century Japan, and a modern dystopic New York, but instead the two stories were meshed into one. Then, the story just felt too much like The Matrix (which I know was released afterwards, but it did affect how I saw the graphic novel).

Ronin is about Billy, a young paraplegic who works in a 21st century utopia, a perfect bubble society. One day the demon Agat comes blasting out of the past, with the spirit of the Ronin on his tail. Ronin possesses and transforms Billy and goes after Agat, blazing a trail of destruction through the dystopic New York.

I wouldn’t count Ronin as my favorite Frank Miller. I loved Sin City but Ronin just didn’t wow me the way his other work has. I’m not sure why, but the story just didn’t seem up to par.

Rating: 3 Purrs because it’s Frank Miller.

No comments: