Monday, January 28, 2008

Sideways by Rex Pickett

My husband Pandabob picked up a copy of Sideways because of the good reviews about the movie. He read it quickly and hounded me for a while to pick it up and read it too. It was a fun read, and the movie is a good companion to the book. It’s similar enough, but different enough to not be a re-tread.

The best way to describe this book is a buddy movie crossed with a wine instruction manual. Two buddies go off for a bachelor trip through California’s Santa Ynez wine country, only to become entangled in one mess after another. Miles is the wine lover; he’s also divorced, broke, and a failed novelist who somehow friends with Jack. Jack is handsome, about to marry a very rich woman, and is a successful actor. All he wants to do on this trip is drink copious amounts of wine, have a last few days of freedom, and get laid as much as possible. Their adventures are so comical you’ll end up laughing out loud while you read: Jack’s attempts to have sex with any woman he meets, his attempts to set Miles up with his crush, Maya, the boar-hunting episode, and a staged car accident. The scene of Miles sneaking in to get Jack’s forgotten wallet brought tears to my eyes. Don’t forget every event is colored with some sort of wine-snob speech from Miles as they gulp excellent bottles of wine.

I read this book after seeing the movie version, and I admit the casting in the movie fit the characters I read perfectly. Paul Giamatti was cast as Miles, and Thomas Haden Church was cast as Jack. I couldn’t help but see them while I read. Rarely does a book get translated so well onto the screen.

I’ll admit to Sideways inspiring me to learn more about wine. Despite Miles’ very long-winded and snobby speeches about Pinot Noir, there are a few facts to glean. It also gave me a good laugh. I’d definitely recommend checking this book out if you want a fun, buddy trip book to read. There’s even a good moral to this story, if you can get past all the bumbling and drinking.

Rating: 4 Purrs for a good, entertaining read that got me to sign up with our local wine club

No comments: