Friday, February 22, 2008

The Living and the Dead by Todd Livingston and Robert Tinnell

I picked up The Living and The Dead in the bargain bin at my favorite comic shop, Titan Comics.  The cover looked interesting, and you know, it sounded like it was about zombies.  It wasn’t about zombies after all, but it was still a pretty good read. Technically the undead were involved, so it worked out.

In this graphic novel, Livingston and Tinnell revisit the Frankenstein story and see where it could lead if the Baron lived on.  They throw in to the mix all sorts of nasty sins: torture, incest, necrophilia, murder, and resurrection.  This is not a kid’s comic book. Here, the Baron is trying to live a good life with his wife and children and make up for his indiscretions by working as a country doctor and hiding his infamous past history. Unfortunately for him, his relatives won’t let him live free and be the good guy. Instead, they want him to resume working on his evil experiments raising the dead. This naturally leads to all sorts of trouble and the multitude of sins listed previously.

I like the Frankenstein mythos, I always have, and this was a very pleasant surprise. The plot was good, the art was decent, and I got it for a steal. What’s not to like?

Rating: 4 Purrs for a great horror story. I’d rate it higher if I liked the art better.

 




No comments: