Thursday, May 08, 2008

Death Sentence

"You go near my family, and I will cut out your goddamn guts like I did your fucking friend. Do you hear me?”

I was really surprised at how much I liked this movie. I had pretty low expectations going in – it’s a revenge flick so I didn’t expect much depth or much besides some gore and some angry scowls.  You know, some Charles Bronson blowing some guys away and maybe some Chuck Norris action here and there.  I was really surprised at how unexpected things were in this movie.

In Death Sentence, Nick Hume (Kevin Bacon) is a family man. Everything seems swell. He’s got a great wife, two great sons, a high paying job and a beautiful house. There’s some tension underneath the surface there though,…and after Nick Hume brush with the dark side of the city, all the underlying ugly comes out.  Nick and his star hockey player son are driving home after the game and have to stop for gas in a not so great part of town. You know, THAT part of town. The one that always shows up in these movies, the dark and not so safe looking one that you of course have to stop at because your car just happens to be out of gas right at that moment. Well, the bad guys come and kill the all-star favorite son, and when Nick hears that even though he can identify one of the doers, the guy won’t do much time.  Nick wants revenge, so a hunting he will go. The problem is, the gang doesn’t just sit back and take it, and that’s really when all hell breaks loose and things veer from what I think is the standard formula.

What did I like most about Death Sentence? Well, it was raw.  Nick Hume isn’t one of those Commando types that underneath his clean-cut exterior lies a ninja or a Army Ranger. No. Nick Hume is a normal family man. He may want revenge and he goes after it full force but he's not too slick about it.  His revenge is half dumb luck as it is  skill, in fact more dumb luck than anything.  The acting was spot on, with maybe the bad guys being a bit over the top, but that’s pretty normal. John Goodman's character was so evil – but went a long way to almost make you sympathetic towards the gang guy and his cohorts. There’s always a bigger fish in the pond.

I can’t really think of anything I disliked about Death Sentence. I was way better than I expected. It felt pretty tightly edited. Backstory was concise. The story was compelling and there was plenty of action and rough stuff.  I’m not sure I’ll buy this one cause I’m kind of  sad about the whole thing but I wish I had seen it in the theater. It would have been worth the full-on evening ticket price.

Rating: 4 ½ Purrs for a near perfect revenge flick that doesn’t make you feel dirty like  some of those more grindhouse flicks can. I did think of something a little off – that guy's aim was pretty darn good for someone who had never shot a gun before. But hey – it’s Hollywood. Everyone hits targets right on in Hollywood.

1 comment:

John Barleycorn said...

I loved this movie, too. I wouldn't say it's underrated, because it's clearly a silly, violent movie, but it definitely deserves a wider audience.