Monday, November 24, 2008

Barber's Adagio for Strings

I was listening to my iPod, The DoctorPod, this morning while getting ready for work and heard the most amazing song. I had to take a moment and just listen while Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings played. It is possibly one of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. I swear my heart broke listening to this piece, the way the strings slowly build and descend, build and descend, until you feel like your heart will burst, and the things get quiet, and then build again. Wow.

I like a lot of classical music; a lot of pieces make me really, truly, emotionally respond, but this one, well, it's a cut above. It's up there with Bach's Toccata and Fugue, Air on the G String, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring. It's up there with Mozart's Moonlight Sonata, Haydn's Emperor's Hymn, Debussy's Clair de Lune, and pretty much any version of Ave Maria. It's just amazing. I can't tell you how much, you need to go listen yourself.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

In April, the UNT A Cappella choir sang Barber's Agnus Dei -- Adagio for Strings arranged for a cappella choir. There's a Shaw recording out there, but we were better. It was the first time I've almost started crying in the middle of singing a piece.

Add Tavener's Hymn to Athene to your list of must-listen-recordings.

Media Kitten said...

Oh wow. I would have loved to hear that.

Unknown said...

Song for Athene:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=56530168&id=56530171&s=143441