Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Beyond

"Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to Hell, because through that gateway, evil will invade the world."

I love Italian horror. Dario Argento was my first foray into the genre and man, Suspiria knocked my socks off. Anytime anyone asks me my favorite horror movie, it inevitably comes up. Fulci is a master, truly, but nothing it seems will ever be Suspiria to me. Well, except maybe Argento's Opera, but I do have a thing for opera, MacBeth, and those awesome costumes.
The Beyond takes place in New Orleans, in an old hotel with a past. Bad stuff, the entrance to hell, all sorts of goodies pop up here. The question is will the young, pretty new owner of the possessed hotel survive, or will they all die and turn into ewie gooey monsters?

The movie is beautifully shot, has all the right spooky music scares, and plenty of oozie gore. I think this movie might have had more slime than You Can't Do That on Television. It even looks like they shot some of this in New Orleans.

I don't know if anyone outside of true Italian horror fanatics would care for this one, especially anyone icked out by ooze and gore. It's old-school gore though, not your new The Hostel type gore, if it matters.

Other thoughts:
  • Man, a lot of people fall off of things in this movie.
  • Eeeewwww, that was an eyeball.
  • Dog puppet FTW
  • Cue the jerky boyfriend who doesn't believe the heroine is imperiled.
  • Oh yes, the best place to go in a deserted hospital is the laboratory. Perfect.
  • Zombies! Zombie killing!
  • Uh oh, looks like the gates to hell opened up in her basement. That sucks. I hate it when that happens.
Rating: 4 Purrrs

No comments: