Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I pretty much grab up the newest Stephen King books right as they hit the shelves. I am a bit of an addict that way. Under the Dome was no exception, except in one small way. It took me forever to finish it.

So what's it about? One day the small town of Chester's Mill, Maine is going about its business like any other day when all of a sudden something unusual appears (if you guessed a gigantic dome, you get a cookie). The town is completely cut off from the outside world. People die. What happens to a small town where everyone knows each other but now they are cut off? Do they trust each other? Do they help each other out? Not if you are in Stephen King's world.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it. I really did, once I got about half-way through. It was getting half-way that was the hard part. Well, that and the fact that the book is impossibly huge, and when you like to take the book you are reading everywhere, well, War and Peace sized books just don't get put in the computer bag. It took awhile to get the story rolling, and honestly i kept getting flashbacks to The Stand. (Cell did as well but it seemed to not bother me as much.) I actually put it aside for awhile and came back to it after a month or two. When I came back to it, I sped through it. Maybe it was just timing. It also felt a lot like this old movie I saw when I was younger, but to say any more would give away the twist, and I just can't do that.

I would recommend this if you are a King fan, but if you are looking for an end of the world type tale, I would say check out The Stand first. It's still my favorite.

Rating: 4 Purrs

- Posted using BlogPress from Bruce

1 comment:

Lazarus Lupin said...

it happens, it took me forever to finish Dune the first time. I'd get to page 50 and just lost my grip on the book. When I did finally get to reading it all I enjoyed it mightily.

I read Under the Dome and I liked it, though it had a lot of flash backs to some of King's earlier stories and characters. Oddly, I found the jail scenes to be rushed. I was girding my lions for something really grueling like a la "the stand" or "misery." I think the thing that tickled me most was the obvious analogies to global warming just writ in minature.

Over all loved it.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review