Sunday, February 11, 2007

Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan, Art by Niko Henrichon

Jeremy, the guy at the local comic shop, Titan Comics, insisted I pick up this graphic novel. It is simply remarkable in all ways. The art, the story, the dialog, everything gels in Pride of Baghdad to tell a story of life during wartime told through the eyes of a pride of lions.

In the spring of 2003, a pride of lions escaped from the Baghdad Zoo during a bombing raid to wander the streets starving and confused. In Pride of Baghdad, they have voices to tell you how they are feeling, the fears and confusion, the desire for freedom and what it can mean, and never do you feel like you are reading a Disney version of events. Vaughan doesn’t skimp on the details, but there is never any point where you feel like it is gratuitous.

The art by Niko Henrichon is beautiful. Each lion has character, each animal has human characteristics, and the backgrounds showing the decimated beauty of a great city is striking. You feel drawn into a world you will probably never see on television, no matter how long the war continues. It’s a vivid, orange-hued landscape; some images I still can’t get out of my head.

I can’t recommend reading Pride of Baghdad enough. It’s never preachy, never makes a serious judgment over the right or wrong of the war itself, but it does question what is freedom? How do you truly get it? Can you get it as a gift or do you have to fight, dig, roar, and struggle to get freedom that truly lasts and is deep inside you? Is it something someone can take away, or once you earn it, is it always present? My husband looked over at me after reading this and saw me sniffling. I’ll admit it; Pride of Baghdad brought tears to my eyes. For the struggle those beautiful creatures faced, the young men and women fighting the war, and the people it affects every day. It still is with me, and I am sure it will be for many months to come.

Rating: 5 Purrs for making me tear up with such a beautiful and touching story

No comments: