Sunday, December 28, 2008

Even more acquisitions to the library

My nephew challenged me this weekend. He said that he had more Hot Wheels than I had books. I hated to contradict him, so instead I took advantage of Half-Price Books 20% off sale and added a few more to the shelves. 

  • A Wizard of Earthsea and The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. Le Guin - The final books in one of my favorite series when I was a kid. I had the second, but not the first or the third. 
  • The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe 
  • Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry - Not the type of book I would normally read but it comes highly recommended by a friend. We'll see if I agree with him. 
  • Babylon Revisited and Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I pretty much adore Mr. Fitzgerald
  • In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien - Given to me to read by a friend years ago. (Not a friend anymore but at least she introduced me to this book.)  I finally got my own copy.
  • Coyote Blue: A Novel by Christopher Moore - I'll read anything he writes. 
  • Spaceman Blues: A Love Song by Brian Francis Slattery - This has been on my wishlist so long I don't really remember why - I think I read about ti in Entertainment Weekly. 
  • All the Pretty Horses by Cormac Mccarthy - I'll also read anything he writes, or at least, I am working on it. 
  • Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe - One of those that I should have read a long time ago. 
  • The Daughters of Juarez: A True Story of Serial Murder South of the Border by Teresa Rodriguez - The murders happening down there are so scary.
  • Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
  • Black Water by Joyce Carol Oates
  • City of Glass, Ghosts, The Locked Room (New York Trilogy) by Paul Auster
  • Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
  • The Good Guy by Dean Koontz - I don't read a lot of Koontz but I saw this on Stephen King's best of list so I thought I'd check it out. 
  • Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin
  • Presumed Innocent: A Novel by Scott Turow
  • The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons - The first science fiction/fantasy book I ever read was Hyperion. Many, many years later I discovered there were sequels. I will say that these are some of the very few science fiction/fantasy books I really, really enjoyed, so I picked them up fro Steve to read. He owes me big time for the Dragonlance books. 


No comments: