Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Murders of Richard III by Elizabeth Peters

I read The Murders of Richard III ages ago, maybe junior high if I remember correctly. I forgot the name, and then stumbled upon this awesome group on Live Journal called “what’s that book.” I posted a summary of what I could remember and BAM – I had the name of this book in maybe a day. I had better memories of the book than the actual book, but overall it was a light, frothy mystery read.

In The Murders of Richard III, Thomas invites fellow academic Jacqueline Kirby to a gathering of friends who believe Richard III was innocent of the murders he is accused of committing. The group is gathering for their historical reenactment and to celebrate the finding of a new letter that supposedly will exonerate Richard. The problem is, someone is pulling pranks, putting the members of the group in the positions and situations like the real murders. Who will be next? Are they safe or will someone really get hurt? Jacqueline and Thomas race to find out who is behind the pranks, all while Elizabeth Peters includes plenty of historical references to keep the history buffs intrigued.

I remember this book being much deeper and involved, but then again, it has been awhile since I read it the first time. The characters are a bit stereotypical, but the historical information and the parlor mystery aspect made this one a fun read. If you go into it not expected a heavily plotted mystery, you won’t be disappointed. Just go into it with proper expectations.

Rating: 3 ½ stars for a trip down memory lane

No comments: