Thursday, January 08, 2009

Closing out the year...

I never did finish up all of my reviews from the movies and books I watched last year, and instead of writing them all out I'm just going to go with the abbreviated version.

On Writing by Stephen King was one of my favorite books that I read last year. I loved the insight into his process, and you can tell that Mr. King really, truly enjoys what he does for a living. Not only that, but he is very honest about his history, his addiction, and the inspiration he finds for his stories. Inspiring, funny, and just another great example of why I love to read his books so much.

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey was a fun little mystery where a detective investigates the Richard III murders, believing that the face of Richard III isn't the face of a murder.

If I Am Missing or Dead by Janine Lutz is the true story of two sisters who end up in abusive relationships after a lifetime of difficult (to put it lightly) parenting by a disturbing father. One sister doesn't survive. It's depressing, it's scary as hell, but it's worth a read.

Pathology staring everyone's favorite Hero, Milo Ventimiglia, and the beautiful Laurel Holloman, (now on CSI and previously sexy L Word chef). A group of pathologists in training play "let's see who can commit the most disturbing and unsolvable murder" a la Flatliners. Lots of sex, lots of violence, kind of silly but I still liked it quite a bit.

Vault of Horror is one of those anthology horror movies. Five men end up in the basement vault of a building, brought together to tell tales. One is about vampires, another about dismemberment, magic rope, scams, and deadly paintings. This one stars Tom Baker of Doctor Who scarfdom.

The Shuttered Room stars Carol Lynley as a woman returning to the island she used to call home with her much older husband (woefully miscast Gig Young - talk about unbelievable). Come to find out, the island home of her youth is haunted by something naughty in the woodshed. This was better than I expected, much due to Oliver Reed playing the evil, inbred hooligan that is enamored with Carol Lynley's character.

And now I am free to fall behind in my 2009 books and movies.

No comments: