Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mirrors

"Mirrors are just glass and silver, Ben. That's it. There's nothing behind them. "

Alexandre Aja has finally made me spooked to look in a mirror. He's finished what Poltergeist,  Clive Barker, and Candyman started. This movie made me jump. Repeatedly. Pandabob found much amusement in it when from the other room, he heard me jump and squeak. In fact, the creepiness in Mirrors made me wish that maybe Aja had filmed Mother of Tears

Mirrors is about an ex-cop, Ben Carson (Kiefer Sutherland), who is moonlighting as a security guard at an old burned out department store. The guy he replaced commits suicide, and when Ben finds out, he investigates, especially when he starts seeing things in the mirrors at the store that shouldn't, couldn't be there. Who or what is in the mirrors? Is he just going nuts or are he and his family really in danger?

It was gory. Amy Smart's bathtub scene, which you see part of in the trailer, is absolutely skin crawling. Ugh, and yet awesome. It was spooky. What wouldn't be with a huge, dilapidated,  burned out department store as a main setting? I was torn with the desire to explore the place and yet, also to maybe just stay away because the place kind of freaked me the frak out. The whole idea of evil, haunted mirrors is just way cool in my book. The plot got a little wonky there in the end, but I still couldn't help but love it. 

I didn't realize when I rented this that Mirrors is a remake of a South Korean horror film called Geoul sokeuro (Into the Mirror). Now I have another Asian horror film to add to my NetFlix queue. 

Rating: 4 Purrs. I can see that Kiefer's got a bit on the heavy-handed with the acting here and the plot does deviate into a convenient solution, but not nearly as badly as Aja's first film High Tension (which was also awesome until the end got all well, you know.)

No comments: